Home   |   Site Map   



Travel Documents

Re-entry Permits
Lawful permanent residents (green card holders) who intend to remain outside of the United States for more than one year should apply for a re-entry permit prior to leaving the United States in order to preserve their permanent resident status. Although the re-entry permit does not guarantee that an individual will be re-admitted to the United States, it does nevertheless assist with re-entry in most cases.

The application must be submitted to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services and approved prior to departure from the United States. Once approved, the re-entry permit is generally valid for two years. It may be extended for a second two-year period once the individual returns to the United States at the end of the first two-year period. Following the end of the four years, it may be extended in one-year increments for good cause.

Advance Parole
Advance parole is permission granted to an individual to re-enter the United States after travel abroad. Individuals must apply for advance parole prior to departing the United States. Only certain individuals, such as applicants for adjustment of status, must apply for advance parole prior to traveling.
Refugee Travel Documents
Refugee travel documents are available to refugees and asylees (those who have been granted asylum) who wish to return to the United States after travel abroad. Individuals must apply for refugee travel documents prior to departing the United States.
Humanitarian Parole
Humanitarian parole is available to individuals seeking an emergency entry into the United States for humanitarian reasons or for reasons of significant public benefit.

Please contact us or schedule an initial consultation for further information.

   © Copyright 2004 - 2021 Cayer Dyson Law, P.C.      All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or part without permission is prohibited | Website Disclaimer